DIRECTOR OF MARKETING
Location: Norfolk, VA
Reports to: Managing Director
Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Job responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Communications and Marketing
- Responsible for all of VSC’s external communications and serves as the primary marketing and press representative for VSC
- Develop and execute branding strategies and design standards and ensure they are integrated throughout VSC’s work
- Oversee the creation of all marketing and communication, development, and education materials including season brochures, playbills/programs, email newsletters, postcards, flyers, among others.
- Assist VSC’s Development staff with the creation of all fundraising materials.
- Coordinate and execute the Marketing and Communications aspects of the annual Company Calendar with VSC’s Production Manager.
- Coordinate and execute the production-specific aspects of the Marketing department (interviews, production photos, etc) with VSC’s Production Manager and Stage Managers.
- Create and execute membership renewal and acquisition campaigns to grow membership levels annually.
Create and supervise the social media and website strategy and execution.
- Create or art direct 30+ videos per season with the ability to do extremely quick turnarounds.
- Lead the efforts to sell ads in the mainstage program book and the program book for related events.
- Lead and execute all marketing, front of house, program, and other related efforts for Public Works Virginia and their annual production.
- Utilize Google grant and other special resources, as available.
Programs and Partnerships
- Develop, create and execute all media sponsorship trade agreements for VSC to meet or exceed the annual advertising budget
- Oversee the Restaurant partnership program building financial relationships with a minimum of five local restaurants to secure donated food for opening nights and other events.
- Oversee the Media Partnership Program to secure a public media, radio, television, and print sponsor for 80% of mainstage performances, with a minimum trade gained of $125,000.
- Build and maintain non-transactional relationships with organizations and affinity groups
- Provide direct supervision of Marketing/PR, Sales, Box Office and Front of House, including preparing and monitoring budgets for each.
- In concert with the Managing Director, manage and hire all necessary seasonal and full-time staff as needed for the Marketing department.
- Execute annual reviews for all direct reports.
- Serve at the company representative to Virginia Stage Associates (volunteer corps) and/or supervise an employee who is tasked with the same.
- Supervise the cleaning staff for the Wells Theatre with the assistance of the House Manager.
- Lead all outside contractors working on ticketing strategy, photography, videography, online strategy, etc.
- Provide detailed analysis of financial reports, exploiting the potential of Tessitura to further the mission of VSC.
Revenue and Expenses
- Responsible for all of VSC’s earned income revenue goals, including developing, coordinating and implementing an annual communications and sales strategy to meet goals, including defining target marketing, segmentation, strategies, tactics, and measurements.
- Generate the annual Marketing budget for VSC and adhere strictly to the same, including monthly tracking and annual projections of line-item expenses.
- Provide timely reports for the Board of Trustees and executive leadership, as needed.
- Assist other VSC staff as needed, including during VSC special events.
- Represent VSC in a professional manner, both in appearance and attitude.
- Attend all VSC staff, Board and production meetings as required.
- Represent the company in the community by attending Downtown Norfolk Council’s monthly LCD meetings and other industry-specific gatherings.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
The DM must:
- Demonstrate a successful track record of marketing with a minimum of 2 years of experience in the non-profit sector, preferably in the arts
- Possess excellent organizational, written/oral communication, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience in working with volunteers and committees
- Display creative and strategic thinking, with an ability to grasp the organization’s big picture
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and love of enterprise
- Have a belief that art makes our world a better place
An ideal DM candidate will:
- Be a highly motivated self-starter, with the ability to work as part of a small, but very dedicated team
- Be able to demonstrate a high level of personal integrity and strong work ethic
- Be able to manage deadlines and work successfully under pressure
- Have a good sense of humor and want to be a key player in the advancement of the company
- Possess the ability to handle complex situations with tact and poise, appropriately representing the company in our community
- Be able to foster strong relationships both outside, and inside the organization
- Have remarkable capacity to take on challenges with enthusiasm and heart
- Revel in the daily opportunity to collaborate with peers with a singular vision in mind
- Be willing to participate in the “all hands on deck” nature of non-profit work
This position will require the ability to work weekends and nights with regularity. A competitive salary and benefits package will be commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits include paid time off, medical coverage with modest employee share, free parking and other coverages.
Virginia Stage strives for an inclusive work environment and actively embraces a diversity of people, ideas, talents, and experiences. We highly encourage people of color, individuals with disabilities, and other historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume, three professional references and a writing sample (preferably a press release) to:
Virginia Stage Company
PO Box 3770
Norfolk, VA 23514
Please include “DM Search: LAST NAME” in subject line.
No telephone calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Virginia Stage Company
Virginia Stage Company (VSC) is a professional regional theater producing high-quality productions at the Historic Wells Theatre in downtown Norfolk, VA. With a $3 million annual budget, VSC produces seven mainstage productions every season in addition to numerous education & community engagement initiatives. With an average annual attendance of 58,000+ people, VSC has drawn over 3 million patrons to downtown Norfolk in the past quarter century and is the leading theatre of note in Southeastern Virginia.