The Technical Director & Scene Shop Manager is a full-time Lecturer position hired on a 10-month renewable contract.
TROY Theatre and Dance is seeking a strong addition to our collaborative and integrated team. The successful candidate will bring a strong collaborative spirit and communication, consistent work ethic and self-starting initiative, reliable organizational and leadership skills, a shared desire to grow and stretch their own capabilities and creative perspectives, a strong dedication to teaching, service, and artistic excellence, and commitment to promoting an environment that advances access, equity, and inclusion.
The position is primarily responsible for construction and fabrication of scenic elements for Theatre and Dance productions; teaching courses in design, technology, construction, management, and general theatre; mentoring student staff, technicians, and crew members with a student-centric approach aimed at providing opportunities to develop student skill, independence, and agency; and serving as the primary safety officer for departmental productions.
In addition, we seek a team member who can commit to innovating and advancing ideas and practices in theatrical design and technology, working within professional networks beyond the University, and developing curriculum and projects aimed specifically to students with goals and interests in the field of Design, Technology, and Management.
• Master’s degree or 18 hours of graduate study in technical theatre, design and technology, or related field
• 3 years teaching experience
• Professional or industry experience and knowledge and of the performing arts industry and current standards and trends
• Proficiency in AutoCAD, Vectorworks, and other digital rendering techniques
• Proficiency in woodworking, rigging, welding and other traditional methods of fabrication, construction, and making; Interest and experience with innovative design/tech methods and technologies
• Extensive knowledge of safe use of equipment
• MFA or terminal degree in theatrical design, technology, management, or related field
• Evidence of successful, student-centered teaching at the collegiate level
• 5+ years as a technical director, technician, or manager in a professional setting
• Demonstrated capacity to revise systems to improve safety, efficiency, and effectiveness
• Demonstrated experience in bringing new ways and introducing new technology to production
• Interest and/or experience in additive and subtractive manufacturing (CNC and 3D Printing), advanced digital design and rendering software and techniques
About Troy University
Troy University is a regionally accredited four-year liberal arts institution that features a blend of the traditional college experience and online and alternative educational opportunities. TROY is known for its diverse international student population, its strong connections to military and veterans, its status as a pioneer in online learning, and its balance of academics, arts, and athletics. The Department of Theatre and Dance operates three undergraduate degree programs with 150 students and 15 faculty and staff at the main campus location in Troy, Alabama, which hosts a student population of 7,000.