TITLE: Technical Director/Facilities Manager
Full time / 9-month contract
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the direction of the Production Manager
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Student workers, interns and technical over-hire as appropriate
The Technical Director/Facilities Manager for Touchstone Theatre at Moravian College has the daily responsibility for the safe and timely implementation of all aspects of the company’s technical production needs – including lighting, sound, video, and set construction. [NOTE: Due to the small size of the company, the T.D. position refers to the broader definition and is not solely a set construction focused role. We are looking for a jack of all trades.] The T.D. provides support to the Production Manager, Artistic Director, production and project directors and helps facilitate designs of in-residence MFA students and undergraduate productions at Moravian College. They will also mentor students in all areas of stage craft, including stage management and design if experienced in those areas. Along with the oversight of the company’s production needs the candidate must show a basic understanding of facilities management and be prepared to suggest needed repairs to the company’s facilities, implement the more basic repairs and deal with contractors for larger projects. The individual in this position works independently and takes initiative by playing an integral role in managing the company’s technical operations, and providing production support. This is a nine-month position (August 27 – June 12).
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implementation of all technical areas including scenic & props construction/lighting/sound/video setup, etc. during daily operations and all phases of production including the set-up, run, and strike/load-out of materials and equipment for performances.
- Supervise, mentor, and assist students in all areas of technical production.
- Ensure orderly and safe construction, rigging, tear down, demolition, and/or storage of scenic, lighting, sound, and property elements.
- Delegate work to and monitor the work of project-specific technical over-hires.
- Responsible for facilities upkeep of Touchstone Theatre and related facilities (including the Moravian College Arena Theatre and the Comenius shop and storage facilities.)
- Innovate and implement new solutions for storage and organization in all relevant facilities.
- Oversee and implement commissioned projects.
- Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, video, and rigging equipment; arrange for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; perform preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Order construction materials; Produce construction drawings; Develop build (including paint) schedule; Develop load-in schedule; Communicate budget and schedule to Artistic Director and production teams.
- Organize and run production crews.
- Monitor and respond to rehearsal and performance reports.
- Design, set up, maintain, and operate lighting and sound systems for theatre productions and projects; run shows.
- Assist directors/staff/student designers with technical matters.
- Assist with scheduling of theatre-related spaces.
- Orient facility renters and visiting artists to safety, technical characteristics and other aspects of facility operations.
- Act as technical point of contact for visiting artists.
- Maintain technical inventory and order supplies within budget constraints.
- Attend tech rehearsals, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of mounting productions.
- Make recommendations to Artistic Director regarding capital purchases of technical equipment and facilities upgrades.
- Collaborate with production teams for unified artistic productions.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Production Manager or Artistic Director.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Minimum: BA/BFA and 2 years’ experience or 10+ years field experience. MFA preferred as the position may eventually morph into a faculty position. Must be experienced in set construction, lighting, sound, rigging, and digital media. Must be experienced with computers (Mac necessary, both preferred). Lighting, sound and set design experience is a plus. Stage Management experience a plus. Must have experience supervising and mentoring in a work environment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Touchstone Theatre at Moravian College
Founded in 1981, Touchstone Theatre is a professional not-for-profit theatre dedicated to the creation of original work. At its center is a resident ensemble of theatre artists rooted in the local community of Bethlehem, the Greater Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania and the international community of Ensemble Theatres.