- Works with the Union Theater staff on all lighting needs for each event. Attends all production meetings to interpret designers’ plot, lead crew hanging, circuiting and focusing of stage lighting equipment; arrange outside rental orders as needed. Prepares and maintains the lighting plot, recommend changes when necessary and lead all restoring of the house plot after events. Facilitates lighting design or creates basic lighting design for all events. 50%
- Supervises event work calls to ensure safe, effective and efficient set up and execution of event production aspects. Assists with all stage event set up, as needed. May fill in as other technical positions; stage manager, fly rail operator, sound tech., etc. in absence of the required position. 20%
- Responsible for proper procedures for set up and removal of lighting equipment and observes proper safety measures when performing technical duties including running cables and hanging overhead equipment. 10%
- Assists with inventory and maintenance of all theatrical technical equipment and supplies throughout the year. Responsible for repairing, cleaning and organizing all equipment with other technical theater staff. Assists with ordering supplies and equipment. Prepares and manages operating budget for lighting and participates in strategic planning related to lighting advancements.10%
- Establishes and implements safe working practices in the theater. Continuously researches other theater facilities to ensure that all Union Theater lighting operations are up to date and others duties as assigned 10%
Minimum Qualifications: High School Diploma and 4 years experience programming and operation of an ION Lighting Control system and moving head instruments. Experience in lighting design.
Must be able to: supervise a crew of up to 6 people, climb and work on ladders, lifts, catwalks, and grids, regularly lift 50lbs or more, read and create sound drawings, plots, and schematics, work evenings and weekends.
Must have knowledge of: ION Lighting control system and moving head instruments and lighting design.
Due to the safety sensitive nature of the position, random drug and alcohol testing is required in accordance with LSU’s PS-67.
This position will require a highly skilled technician who will work closely with the audio technician. This position is responsible for the proper use and maintenance of all lighting and visual effects equipment owned by the Union Theater, organization/execution of all event lighting needs, tracking all lighting/visual effect equipment expenses, and serve as lighting designer/technician for all productions at the Union Theater. This position will require a team player who is dedicated to the job with the willingness to work nights and weekends
Additional Position Information:
Background Check – An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits – LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
LSU is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity / equal access employer.
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed HR@lsu.edu
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Louisiana State University
The LSU Student Union Theater is a newly renovated 1,269 seat proscenium arch theater complete with an orchestra pit. Seating is stadium style with no overhanging balcony, providing great sight lines and sound. The LSU Union Theater is equipped with the Meyers Constellation System, which provides acoustical enhancement for voice and music performances, delivering concert hall quality sound regardless of where you’re seated in the theater.