Job Title: Instructor of Scenic & Lighting Design
Department: Theatre & Dance
Position Reports To: Chair
Date of Last Revision: 1/6/21
POSITION SUMMARY: High Point University invites applications for Instructor of Scenic & Lighting Design in the Department of Theatre & Dance, to commence Spring, 2021. The department seeks candidates well-suited in character and temperament to a liberal arts environment, who share the department’s commitment to creative problem solving, the creative process, social awareness, and a strong work ethic. The department offers a major in Theater with emphases in performance, technical, or collaborative theatre and a major in Dance, along with minors in Theater, Dance, and Musical Theater. The candidate will teach courses in Stagecraft, Lighting and Sound crafts, Scenography, Design and Theatre Architecture, Theatre practicum and general education courses in theatre. We welcome applicants who will have a terminal degree in hand Fall 2021.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
- M.F.A. required, in theatre design; Ph.D. considered with extensive production experience
Experience and Training:
- Previous college teaching experience preferred.
- Computer aided design knowledge required.
- Expertise with Projection technology.
- Record of ongoing professional and/or academic activity in theatre design showcasing
strong collaborative skills.
- Strong commitment to effective teaching.
- Demonstrated potential for mentoring undergraduate students.
- Position responsibilities include teaching four courses per semester, active participation in
department recruiting events, department committees, and mentoring undergraduate
- Oversee and implement scenic and lighting designs for four mainstage productions.
- Design lighting and scenery for dance concerts as needed.
- Oversee and implement painting and props for each production.
- Position requires Production Management skills.
- Attend department activities on nights and weekends such as technical rehearsals, work
calls, light hangs, load-ins, and strikes.
Applications can be submitted through the following portal link:
The following application materials must be uploaded as one document.
- Cover letter addressing the applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position.
- Current CV.
- Statement of teaching and production design philosophy.
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which speaks to the applicant’s potential or
experience in teaching.
For additional information regarding this position, please contact Doug Brown at email@example.com
- Color Perception (Red, Green, Amber)
- Clear Speech
- Lifting (25 pounds )
- Carrying (25 pounds )
- Ability to Move Distances Within and Between Warehouses/Offices
- Ability to Mount and Dismount Forklift/Truck
- Driving (local)
- Driving (over the road)
- Reading – Simple
- Reading – Complex
- Writing – Simple
- Writing- Complex
- Judgment/Decision Making
- Basic Math Skills
- Pressurized Equipment
- Works Alone
- Moving Objects
- Works with Others
- High Places
- Verbal Contact w/Others
- Face-to-Face Contact
- Mechanical Equipment
- Hazardous Materials
- Electrical Equipment
- Dirt Dust