The City of Springfield, in Springfield, Kentucky, is seeking an Managing/Artistic Director (MAD) to manage all long term and day to day operations for their Central Kentucky Theatre (community and educational theatre) and Central KY Chorus (community and professional singers and musicians).
This MAD will be supported by a managing/advisory board who will help the candidate produce and oversee a two to three show community theatre season; a four to six show youth/children’s season; and a two to three show choral concert season. The show season will involve in-house produced shows and additional outside events such as local bands and singers. The choral concert season will involve oversight of choral shows that will take place in various locations in Springfield and around our regional area.
Included in the duties will be: management of 3 program directors, Kids Company (grades 2-6), Youth Company (grades 7-12) and Central KY Chorus; direction of Mainstage (community) shows or oversight of paid director for these shows; production of all shows, including advertising and promotion; oversight and organization of volunteer groups for all technical aspects (i.e. scenery, lighting, sound, costumes & house); creation of future seasons; fundraising; outreach and other duties as assigned. The position will lead in the creation and upkeep of the yearly budget and strategic planning (both short and long-term).
A successful candidate for this position will have the following:
· Bachelor of Arts in theatre or equivalent experience
· Previous experience as an Artistic Director of at least 2 years in theatre
· Previous managerial experience of at least 2 years in theatre
· Previous experience of developing and managing a budget
· Previous experience of managing both paid employees & volunteers in key positions
· History of working with all aspects of Arts volunteers (recruitment, retention and appreciation) and a demonstrated ability of bringing people together to work in committees and on productions
· Previous experience with promoting and advertising shows and fundraising. Grant writing experience a plus
· Experience with set construction a plus
· Excellent computer skills. Proficiency in Word, Excel and graphic design programs
· Willingness to live in Washington County and become involved in our regional area
· Ability to work independently, multi-task and accomplish goals
· Immediate availability
Salary range for this full-time position is $32,000-$36,000, with full city benefits package, dependent upon experience. The City of Springfield in an Equal Opportunity Employer. A background check and drug test will be required.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Theatre Director, or mail to 127 W. Main St., Springfield, KY 40069. Questions welcome and an electronic information packet, including full benefits description, is available via above email address.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Central KY Theatre
We are a Community theater in Central KY. We are very centrally located an hour from Lexington and Louisville and 2 hours from Cincinnati, OH. Our theater has two educational programs (Kids and Youth Company) as well as a Mainstage community program. We have a partnership with Mid KY Chorus and are part of the City of Springfield. We have a thriving Arts community with many other regional community theaters, college theater programs and even a budding film industry in our area.
Springfield/Washington County is a beautiful and inclusive area to live and work and has access to both public and private schools.