Birmingham Children’s Theatre
Position: Director of Production
FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Salary Range: $36,000 – $40,000
The Birmingham Children’s Theatre is seeking a Director of Production to join our creative and dedicated team. The Director of Production is responsible for supervising all aspects of the production department, including hiring and supervision of all production personnel and artistic personnel, working with directors, shop managers, and designers to ensure quality productions, creating and maintaining production budgets, and facility coordination.
- Participate in Season planning, including reading scripts, and generating ideas for production
- Assist the Executive Artistic Director with the creation of the annual budget and season calendar for all in-house productions, tours, special events, and educational programs
- Develop and supervise production budgets.
- Develop and administer production calendars and design deadlines for each production.
- Guide all director/design teams through the design process to guarantee the timely completion of all designs. With the input of appropriate technical staff, analyze all designs submitted to determine feasibility of execution within the allotted time, money and personnel available.
- Communicate directly with playwrights, literary agents, producers and other theatre peers
- Hire, contract, and supervise all actors, production staff and contractors including, but not limited to: designers, full time technical staff, electricians, carpenters, stage managers, production assistants, wardrobe personnel, running crew, artistic consultants and any additional personnel required for specific production needs.
- Coordinate auditions and serve as point the of contact for incoming artists
- In collaboration with directors, stage managers, and other key personnel, schedule all rehearsals.
- Oversee all technical rehearsals and attend performances as needed.
- Oversee all touring performances, ensuring that all actors and technicians are supported.
- Attend all special events, such as fundraisers, openings, previews, promotional events, as needed.
- Support marketing, education, and development activities as appropriate
- Oversee the rental of all scenery, costumes, props, lighting equipment, and other equipment outside the organization.
- Participate in short term and long-term institutional planning
- Foster a collaborative, healthy, and productive working environment which focuses on a culture of kindness and respect
- Demonstrated experience as a producer or production manager, including familiarity with budgets, calendars, and contracts.
- Additional experience as a stage manager, designer, or director desired.
- Broad understanding of all technical aspects of theatre
- Strong leadership skills with proven ability to delegate effectively
- Demonstrates the ability to balance multiple projects, meet deadlines, and communicate effectively in a frequently flexible and quick-moving environment
- Proficiency with Google Office Suite and Microsoft Office
- Ability to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders, and perform physical labor as needed
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends
The Director of Production reports directly to the Executive Artistic Director. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
START DATE: July 2019
This position will be open until filled.
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume along with a list of three references to the attention of Alex Ungerman at email@example.com. Please type “Director of Production” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Birmingham Children’s Theatre exists to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of children through the magic of professional theatre. One of the nation’s oldest and largest professional theatre companies for young audiences, BCT produces high-quality, professional theatrical entertainment and curriculum-relevant arts education experiences for children and families. For more information, visit www.bct123.org
Birmingham Children’s Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. BCT is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.