Established in 1938, the Appalachian Theatre is located in the heart of downtown, Boone, North Carolina and which is home to Appalachian State University, Grandfather Mountain and the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. After an extensive $9M renovation, the new Appalachian Theatre will reopen this fall as the only independent performing arts center in Watauga County. The 40,000 square foot theatre complex will house a 600-seat theatre, large multipurpose hall and will host programs that include presented concerts, plays and films and a lively community rental program.
Technical Director will manage the overall production and technical requirements for events in a newly renovated 600+ seat theatre and 1600 SF meeting space. The Technical Director will be a “hands on” supervisor who takes pride in maintaining the highest standards in artistic excellence, production services, diversity and inclusion, and fiscal responsibility. Success in this position relies on solid organizational skills, strong leadership qualities and superior grace under pressure. A pro-active, collegial, patient attitude and the ability to work collaboratively with Appalachian Theatre staff and build a well-trained crew is essential. Work schedule includes regular business hours and weekend, evening and Holiday hours.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Well qualified applicants will have experience installing, operating and maintaining theatrical lighting, sound and rigging equipment in a professional, non-volunteer capacity; experience reading and interpreting stage drawings, light plots and rigging plots; and knowledge of techniques of stage preparation and set builds for theatrical or related productions.
• Supervise and coordinate technical and production aspects of performances in a variety of art forms of both inhouse and community programs. Assist inexperienced organizations with event planning and execution.
• Assist with facility scheduling; manage production schedules; arrange for technical crews and equipment using scheduling software.
• Train, supervise, schedule and evaluate up to 25 overhire, student and contract employees.
• Preserve a safe working environment and smooth transitions between events. Practical and current knowledge of professional standards of back stage operations, theater safety and fire codes.
• Manage budgets. Order expendables, rental equipment and maintain equipment, facilities and supplies.
• Serve as onsite Facility Manager for all theatrical events and other assigned events in the facility.
• Facility management, scheduling and general maintenance as needed.
• And other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
• BA in technical theatre from an accredited academic institution.
• 3-5 years professional working experience in technical theater production and management.
• Extensive practical knowledge of proper theatrical rigging practices, handling of hard and soft scenic goods, mechanical physics, fundamental electricity, modern construction practices and materials, stage crafts including rigging, lighting, carpentry, and a/v and sound equipment.
• Knowledge of contract riders, facility agreements, light plots, sound requirements, and theater software.
• Effective skills in budgeting, planning, scheduling with a high level of attention to detail.
• Perform duties that require climbing stairs and ladders, going up in genie lifts, bending and twisting, lifting up to 100 pounds with assistance and working safely at heights up to 50’. Must be able to identify auditory or visual difficulties in events/productions and make adjustments.
• Ability to perform basic maintenance and upkeep tasks.
• Excellent communications skills and ability to liaise with university and community groups, patrons and volunteers.
• A flexible schedule and willingness to work long hours, nights, weekends.
• Good team player and positive can-do attitude.
• Computer proficient. AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and scheduling software experience preferred.
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
Interested candidates should provide a letter of interest, resume, contact information for three professional references, and salary requirements in PDF format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or visits.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com